If you don’t have a partner, are alone, and need to practice your moves…
“Create” a Partner:
- Practice with who ever is around. Sister, mother, teacher, friend, big rag doll, big dog, cat…
- Use a swinging door to practice hand and body placement.
- Use the door knob as one of the girl’s hands, and practice your cross-body leads.
- Swing the door to the left as you would move a woman’s body.
- Use a wall to practice your arm and body tension against the woman.
- Drape a pair of pant legs over a chair, and pretend the legs are her arms. (Best #5 connection EVER!!)
- Practice with the corners of a towel. Pretend the towel corners are the girl’s hands and arms.
- Practice with a rope, belt, or men’s tie. Wrap the rope once around a pole or banister, leave it at just below eye level. Use the ends as the woman’s hands and maneuver them through your moves.
- Use a long pillow, with a grapefruit tied at the end to represent the approximate weight and feel of a woman’s head. Great for practicing your dips!!
- If your instructor lets you, videotape your private lesson and go thru the motions with a broom.
- Use a mirror whenever possible.
- Buy a blow-up doll and use her…. (to practice your dancing moves…)
Nothing however, beats the real thing – a real woman – ANY day.
Go to the nightclubs as often as you can, find a person you “chemistry” with, and just start learning together!
This is how most of us ended up learning.
… with “fun, happy” (non-intimidating) “normal” women!
– Edie, The Salsa FREAK!!
Edie The Salsa FREAK!! Website