I was just reading through some of your stories, and I stumbled across your Christianity and Salsa section.
I have to say, that after reading through your words – every one of them resonated with me in every way. Thank you!I wanted to open up and let you know that Salsa cured the following for me:
- I used to smoke – now clubs don’t allow smoking, and that is where I spend most of my time, so now I quit smoking.
- I used to drink – but it inhibited my dancing and spins, and my friends started complaining about my lead, so I quit drinking.
- I was addicted to porn – but I started spending so much time at Salsa clubs, I would come home trashed and had zero energy to spend time on the Internet – no more interest. (the real thing is FAR better).
- I got rid of my occasional drug habit – I’m now spending my money on gas and getting into Salsa clubs and buying water just to keep going!
Yes, I am a former Jew, but now I have NO CLUE what I believe other than if there “is” a God, He created Salsa to eliminate the habits I was doing by myself IN THE DARK. (as if God couldn’t see… come on)
I love to dance now, I love the challenge of all these insane moves. I love meeting new people now, makeing new friends, and just simply CELEBRATING MY LIFE again – I feel like God has given me a second chance at “living” again.
I shudder to think what would have become of me if I had not started dancing Salsa.
“Thank you God… for saving me with Salsa”. And thank YOU Edie, for being honest, showing no fear, and wearing your heart on your sleeve, oh, and for the Dancer Hangout.
– J.H. New York City Salsero