I really want to take dancing classes, but at the same time I’m really nervous because I can’t dance at all. I feel like I have TWO LEFT FEET. I’m not flexible at all when it comes to moving and dancing. Do you think that maybe I should order videos first before starting any lessons? I love to listen to music, but it comes to dancing I get really embarrassed. I know I’m going to be a stubborn one to learn, but I want to do it.”
– Scared to learn…not a quick learner!
Dear Scared to learn…not a quick learner,
This is what you should do:
- Stop worrying about your abilities as a “dancer”. The dance is just a walk. Thatâ€™s all. If you can walk, then you can Salsa.
- If you are embarrassed to be seen in a group class with others, take a private lesson or two, three, or four. This springs your confidence like you would not believe.
- Go to a club to WATCH – AND STUDY MOVES – donâ€™t dance for a month or so. Just enjoy the music, watch the great Salseros, and take very good notes.
- Continue your privates, and take a group class or two once you gain a bit more confidence.
- Youâ€™ll know when youâ€™re ready to “hit the streets” when youâ€™re ready.
Choosing a GREAT Instructor (I wrote extensively about this topic on this website):
I believe, that when the student is ready, the teacher will come. There is a growing body of World Class instructors training n the Black Belt Salsa (BBS) system of worldwide instructors for your city. Go take a look. Best of luck to you!
– Edie, The Salsa FREAK!!
Edie The Salsa FREAK!! Website